The authors are cordially invited to submit significant new findings of their papers in word format to the journal office via online submission along with a Health Sciences Quarterly (HSQ) cover letter. The journal will cover the topics related to the fields of health sciences. All manuscripts submitted for publication are evaluated by the editor-in-chief, section editor(s), editorial board, and referees. The original research papers, letter to the editor, debates, case reports and reviews only in English are published in the journal. By submission of a manuscript, an author certifies that the study is original and is not being considered simultaneously by other journals. All articles are subjected to critical reviews by referees.
A regular paper should describe new and carefully confirmed findings, and experimental procedures should be given in sufficient detail for readers to verify the study. The length of a full paper should be the minimum required to describe and interpret the study clearly. The total length of any manuscript submitted must not exceed 25 pages. The manuscripts should be written in a clear, concise language (English) using a word processor. MS Word for Windows and .docfiles are preferred. Manuscripts may be prepared with other software provided that the main text (with figures, schemes, and tables inserted into the text) is exported to an MS Word format for submission. Do not use desktop publishing software such as Aldus PageMaker or Quark XPress. If the manuscript has been prepared with one of these programs, it should be exported the text to a word processing format. Times New Roman font is preferred. The font size should be 12 pt. for headings and 11 pt. for text. The first line of the paragraph should not be shifted from the left margin. Paragraph spacing after a single paragraph (6 nk) should be given. Papers should be 1.5-spaced with ample margin. The page setup is A4 size. Non-repeating line numbers should be added starting from the main text along with the page numbers.
The corresponding author must be uploaded five documents including the cover letter (1), title page (2), main text (3), author declarations’ form (4), and copyright form (5) to the submission system.
Key points to include:
- Editor’s name
- Your manuscript’s title
- Name of the journal (Health Sciences Quarterly) you are submitting to
- Statement that your paper has not been previously published and is not currently under consideration by another journal
- Brief description of the research you are reporting in your paper, why it is important, and why you think the readers of the journal would be interested in it
- Contact information for you and any co-authors
- Confirmation that you have no competing interests to disclose
Cover letter template
The second file to be sent of the manuscript entitled "Title Page” must include;
- Title of the study
- The title must concise and informative and should not exceed 200 characters (or 25 words) including spaces (with keywords appropriate for retrieval purposes) and provide peer readers with a quick overview of the paper contents. Avoid abbreviations and formulae where possible. The title of the manuscript should be centered, written in bold, in Times New Roman 12 font size and 1.5-spaced.
- Name(s) of author(s)
- Author names should be indicated in the order of contribution. First of all, the surname of each author should be written clearly and then the name and / or the middle name should be written in capital letters (eg. Steven Lewis Brown => Brown SL). Name(s) of the author(s) should be centered, in Times New Roman 11 font size, and 1.5-spaced.
- Affiliation(s) of author(s)
- Affiliation(s) of author(s) should be written left-justified, italic, in Times New Roman 10 font size and 1.5-spaced (eg. Department of Cardiology Faculty of Medicine, Afyonkarahisar Health Sciences University, 03200, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey)
- Information about correspondence
- Information about correspondence must include the name of the corresponding author (it should be written clearly) and contact information under the correspondence title. It should be left-justified, written in bold (only title), in Times New Roman 11 font size and 1.5-spaced.
- e-mail addresses and ORCID numbers of the authors
- After the correspondence section, it should be written clearly all other authors' names, e-mail addresses, and the ORCID numbers in italic, and Times New Roman, 10 font size, and 1.5-spaced under the title of "Other Authors" (in bold).
(eg. Steven Lewis Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0055-7608).
The third file to be sent of the manuscript entitled "Main Text” must include Abstract, Introduction, Materials and Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion, References, Table(s), Legends (for figures), and Figures respectively. All headings and subheadings should be written in lowercase (first letter in the capital) and bold letters with 1.5 spacing. All headings should be left-justified, written in Times New Roman 12 font size, but subheadings in 11 font size and italic. Spacing before and after a heading (6 nk) should be given. Do not use (:, ; and the others) at the end of the headings and subheadings.
- All papers must have an abstract, not more than 300 words of clear, informative and giving significant objectives, methodology, results, and conclusion in the paper without captions. Between 3 and 6 keywords must be provided for the purpose of indexing and information retrieval. Abstract and keywords must be written in Times New Roman 11 font size and 1.5 spacing. If necessary, explain the abbreviations under the heading "Abbreviations" in detail and alphabetical order after Keywords in the Abstract (eg. Alanine transaminase, (ALT); Aspartate transaminase, (AST)…).
- The manuscript must be divided into sections and subheadings starting preferably with Introduction and ending with the references. Please start the method section with the statement indicating the ethics committee approval of the study. An ethical statement is also required for retrospective studies. All the text should be written in Times New Roman 11 font size and 1.5 spacing without paragraph spacing.
- There are no restrictions on number of references. HSQ uses the Vancouver Citation Style as outlined in the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) sample references with DOI.
- References must be listed at the end of the manuscript and numbered in the order that they appear in the text.
- In the text, citations must be indicated by the reference number in square brackets [...]. Numbers corresponding to references listed in the “References” section must not be in brackets.
- More than two references in numerical sequence should not be written one after another in sequence but as [1-4], etc. Use an En Dash between page numbers, “120-130” not an Em Dash, “120—130”.
- Avoid writing the name(s) of author(s) followed by the reference number — style the sentence so that only the reference number is stated. Journal name abbreviations must be those found in NCBI databases [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog/journals].
- References with more than six authors must be shortened with “et al.”; all authors must be listed.
- Authors must not cite: MSc theses, posters presented at scientific meetings, abstracts, unavailable and unpublished data, personal communications and manuscripts that have been submitted but have not yet been accepted. Therefore, avoid use of expressions such as “manuscript submitted”, “unpublished work”, as well as “data not shown”.
- If an article is submitted to a journal and also publicly available as a pre-print, the pre-print may be cited. References for accepted articles may be included as “in press”, with the authors, title of the work, journal and DOI provided in the reference list.
Reference formatting - examples
- Pektas MB, Sadi G, Koca HB, Yuksel Y, Vurmaz A, Koca T, et al. Resveratrol ameliorates the components of hepatic inflammation and apoptosis in a rat model of streptozotocin-induced diabetes. Drug Dev Res. 2016;77(1):12-9. doi: 10.1002/ddr.21287.
- Korkmaz OA, Sumlu E, Koca HB, Pektas MB, Kocabas A, Sadi G, et al. Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus helveticus on renal insulin signaling, inflammatory markers, and glucose transporters in high-fructose-fed rats. Medicina. 2019;55(5):pii:E207. doi: 10.3390/medicina55050207.
Accepted, unpublished papers
- Głusiec W. Hospital chaplains as ethical consultants in making difficult medical decisions. J Med Ethics. 2021; “in press”. doi: 10.1136/medethics-2020-107096.
Websites or online articles
- Norton, R. (2006, November 4). How to train a cat to operate a light switch [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vja83KLQXZs
- Rascati KL. Essentials of Pharmacoeconomics. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer; 2014. 225-45 p.
- Fares-Frederickson N, David M. Introduction to immunity and inflammation. In: Brunton LL, Hilal-Dandan R, Knollmann BC, editors. Goodman and Gilman’s the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 13th ed. New York: Cenveo Publisher Services; 2018. 621-35 p.
- Şumlu E, Yildirim OG, Koca HB, Pektaş MB, Sadi G, Akar F. High-fructose diet activates testicular inflammatory pathway in rat. In: World Food Science and Technology Congress. 2019. p. 25-26.
- Tables should be single spaced. The tables should be kept to a minimum and be designed to be as simple as possible. Tables are to be typed single-spaced throughout, including headings and footnotes. Each table should be numbered consecutively and supplied with a heading and a legend. The title should be placed at the top. Explanatory information and experimental conditions should be given as a note at the bottom. Explanatory information and experimental conditions should be given as a note at the bottom of the columns. Tables should be self-explanatory without reference to the text. The same data should not be presented in both table and graph form or repeated in the text. The headlines of the tables must be written in Times New Roman 11 font and with bold letters. References for the tables must be below the table with a font size of 10 fonts. Each table should be prepared in a unique page.
- Illustrations must be numbered consecutively. They should be cited in the text as Figure 1, Figure 2, and so on. Begin each legend with a title at the bottom of the illustration and include sufficient description so that the figure is understandable without reading the text of the manuscript. Graphics should be prepared using applications capable of generating high resolution (300 dpi) JPEG before pasting in the Microsoft Word manuscript file. The headlines of the figures must be written in Times New Roman 11 font and with bold letters. References for the figures must be below the figure with a font size of 10 fonts. Each figure should be prepared in a unique page.
Author Declarations’ Form
It must include the statements of Title of the Manuscript, Conflict to Interest, Funding, Author Contributions, Data Availability Statement, and Acknowledgements (optionally). All headings should be left-justified, written in Times New Roman 11 font size. Author Declarations’ Form is exported to a PDF format for submission.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.